Your dependent partner can join you in the UK

Your dependent partner aged 18 or over on the date of application can join you in the UK, if you are here on a Student visa.

Your dependent partner can apply from outside the UK, seeking permission to enter, both where you are already in the UK as a Student, and where you are applying at the same time for entry clearance on the Student route.

If already in the UK, your dependent partner can apply from within the country for permission to stay. In this case, your partner must not be in the UK as a Visitor, Short-term student, Parent of a Child Student, Seasonal Worker, Domestic Worker in a Private Household, or with leave outside the Immigration Rules.

Depending on the circumstances, your partner may need to provide a valid medical certificate confirming that your partner has undergone screening for active pulmonary tuberculosis and that this tuberculosis is not present in your partner.

If you and your partner are not married, you must demonstrate that you have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage for at least the two years before the date of application. Any previous relationship of yours or of your partner with another person must have permanently broken down. You and your partner must not be so closely related that you would not be allowed to marry in the UK.

Irrespective of whether you are married to your partner or not, your relationship must be genuine and subsisting, and you must intend to live together throughout your partner’s stay in the UK.

Your partner must not intend to stay in the UK beyond any permission granted to you as a Student.

If your partner is applying for entry clearance, or has been in the UK for less than 12 months on the date of application, either you or your partner must have funds of at least £845 per month (if you study in London) or £680 per month (if you study outside London).

The funds must be in addition to the funds required to you, as a Student, to meet the financial requirement, and in addition to the funds required to meet the financial requirement for any dependent child who is applying at the same time, or is already in the UK as a dependent child of yours.

Unless your partner is relying on financial sponsorship from a Government or international scholarship agency that covers the living costs of your partner and of yours, as a Student, your partner must show that the required level of funds have been held for a 28-day period.

If your partner is applying for permission to stay and has been living in the UK with permission for 12 months or longer on the date of application, your partner will meet the financial requirement and do not need to show funds.

If the decision maker is satisfied that all the requirements are met, the application will be granted. Your dependent partner will be granted permission which will end on the same date as your permission.

Your partner will have no access to public funds (will not be able to claim benefits), and will be permitted to work (including as self-employed or voluntary) except in some circumstances (for example, where you have been granted less than 9 months’ permission or where you study a course below degree level). Your partner will not be allowed to take employment as a professional sportsperson or sports coach. Your partner will be permitted to study.

You partner may be required to register with the police.

If the application is refused, your partner can apply for an Administrative Review.

If you want to apply for a Student Visa and need specialist advice, feel free to contact me. Please note that I am an accredited immigration adviser, not an employee of the UK Visas and Immigration. I charge fees for the advice provided.